The Windsor Workshop
James Mursell runs The Windsor Workshop from his farm in West Sussex, offering courses, specialist tools and Windsor chairs made to order. There is a lot to discover by browsing our website with information about the chairmaking courses we offer and the professional tools you can buy.
Chair making courses are run throughout the year. Over five days students create an elegant Windsor chair using traditional techniques and a range of hand tools.
Windsor chairmaking is a very accessible branch of woodworking, and no previous experience is necessary in order to successfully complete a course and make a fine piece of furniture; yet even the most experienced woodworker will be challenged!
Travishers, spokeshaves, scrapers and other chair making tools are available from The Windsor Workshop.
These tools were designed by James Mursell and are made in the workshop to the highest possible standard.
You can be certain that these tools will work well as they are used by students on all courses and by James when making his chairs for sale.
More about chairmaking courses…
Students are taught by professional Windsor chair maker James Mursell.
He passes on exactly the same techniques that he uses every day in making his chairs and when new techniques are developed they are quickly incorporated into the chair making courses. Great attention is given to the courses to design with the aim of encouraging students to make elegant chairs both on the course and in their future work.
For those with an ambition to make a serious hobby or business out of making chairs, the learning of efficient techniques which are taught at all stages will also be very valuable.
Here's why our courses are so popular…
- A friendly and encouraging atmosphere
- The satisfaction you have created your own, beautiful Windsor chair
- Choice of weekend or 5 days courses
- No previous woodworking experience needed
- Students are provided with everything needed including materials and tools
- Professional tuition from professional chairmaker James Mursell
- Option of onsite accommodation
- Maximum of 8 students per course ensures personalised tuition
Chairmaking tools with global acclaim…
- The Spokeshaves, Travishers and Scrapers have a worldwide following from discerning chairs and furniture makers.
- A range of tools designed and manufactured in the UK by James Mursell
- Highly recommended by professional and amateur chairmakers
Written by James Mursell, this book was the first new book about the making and design of Windsor chairs for over 10 years. It was written with a broad readership in mind and is aimed at existing Windsor chair makers and also at those who are contemplating making their first chair.